I became a vegetarian in 2015. The decision to go meatless has helped nurture compassion and love in me. It has also improved my temper and made me a more patient and tolerant person.
When I first started going meatless, I was constantly feeling hungry and always looking for something to eat. My friends and colleagues are all non-vegetarians and so I had to resist the temptation of many meat-based delicacies. However, since I have decided to become a vegetarian, I have to stick to it and not give up easily.
Eating out was not allowed during the Circuit Breaker period. To encourage my daughter to also adopt a vegetarian diet, I decided to cook her favourite petai beans. This time, without meat and prawns in it. It was my first attempt to cook vegetarian petai beans. When I saw Butterfly Pea in the refrigerator, it gave me a sudden idea to make butterfly pea rice with petai beans and vegetables. I never expected it to be so aromatic and delicious. And my daughter was full of praises for the dish.
Butterfly pea (1 small pinch), rice (1 cup), water, petai beans (1 small packet), king oyster mushrooms, tempeh, purple cabbage, small chillies, ginger, cherry tomato, cucumber
Salt, soy sauce, vegetable oil, vegetarian oyster sauce, lemon sauce, brown sugar (two tablespoons)
- Soak the butterfly pea flowers in water and bring to boil. Separate the petals from the blue water.
- Rinse the rice, put it in a rice cooker, add in the blue water, and cook the rice.
- Wash the purple cabbage, drain away the water, cut it into fine strips and marinate it with brown sugar and lemon sauce. Leave it in the refrigerator for about an hour.
- Fry the tempeh until golden brown and drizzle with some soy sauce.
- Mince the small chillies and ginger and fry them in a pot until they become aromatic. Add the petai beans (stink beans) and stir-fry for another three minutes. Add king oyster mushroom and stir-fry together. Season with a little salt, soy sauce and oyster sauce.
- Cut cherry tomatoes into flower shapes and cut cucumber into small cubes for later use. Place all the ingredients on the plate and it is ready for serving.